Sunday, 23 April 2017

Jeff Beck, Julie Andrews & Me

Ahead of Wednesday's Rock'n'Roll London Pub walk With LIVE Music, tonight's guide Adam writes…

When I was a teenager, I fell in love with this picture from The History of Rock magazine…

 


It's Jeff Beck. In the 60s he played with The Yardbirds, employed Rod Stewart as vocalist in The Jeff Beck Group and had a big hit with the world's most annoying earworm Hi Ho Silver Lining.

As a 15-year-old the two things I loved best about the pic were the sneakers and the guitar case. I resolved to acquire similar footwear for myself at the earliest opportunity. Perhaps they'd make me play like Jeff Beck?

But most of all I wanted a guitar case just like his. A hard case. A flight case. A grown-up guitar case. All I had at the time was a flimsy, el cheapo vinyl "gig bag". It was a nasty piece of kit.

The years went by and, for some reason, I just never seemed to get around to buying a proper guitar case. In the interim, the sneakers resolutely failed to make me play like Jeff Beck.

Eventually, my wife bought a case for me. Here it is, waiting to catch a train to the Rock'n'Roll London Pub Walk (With LIVE Music) last week…


 


I always thought that when I finally had a guitar case like Jeff Beck's, then I'd at least feel as cool as he looked when toting it around town.

Instead, the guitar case awoke an entirely different musical memory. 

The first guitar case that I was ever aware of featured on the sleeve of one of the biggest selling albums of all time. An album that was very popular in my family home when I was growing up. Only it's NOT very rock'n'roll.

So there's the answer. When I'm carrying my guitar case on the Rock'n'Roll London Pub Walk I'm trying desperately to channel Jeff Beck… but inside I feel like Maria out of The Sound of Music

 


I'll be carrying the case (with a guitar in it) on tonight's Rock'n'Roll London Pub Walk - there will be live music at the first pub stop, the Alley Cat Bar in Denmark Street. 




I will, however, be leaving my copy of The Sound of Music at home. Maybe I'll put together a Musical Theatre London Walk one of these days. Any takers?



The Rock'n'Roll London Pub Walk With LIVE Music meets at 7pm at Tottenham Court Road tube (exit 1)





No comments:

Post a Comment